Friday, August 3, 2012

Special Delivery

Here's something that never happened before, and may never happen again. 


A customer named Sarah from Burlington, Ontario ordered a copy of the 20th Anniversary Edition of Dinotopia from our little online store. I had the book all wrapped up and was ready to put it in the mail when Google told me that I would be driving near her workplace on my trip back from Toronto. I realized the book would get to her faster if I just dropped it off myself.

On Tuesday morning I arrived at Sarah's office building. I asked the receptionist if Sarah might be free at the moment. I explained that Sarah had ordered a book, that I'm the author of the book, and that I've driven 500 miles away from home and would like to give it to her personally.

Sarah arrived. I handed her the package and returned the money she had paid for the extra shipping costs. She was a little surprised to find out that the delivery guy was also the author. She said she had all my other books, she enjoyed them since she was a kid, and this was the last one that completed her collection.

As an author, I'm always interested to meet my readers. I know I wouldn't be in this business without lots of people like Sarah. So thanks, Sarah, and thanks to each of my other readers. I wish I could hand deliver all my orders!

You can order books and prints from my website stores at JamesGurney.com or Dinotopia.com. No guarantee I'll bring them to you personally, but I would be happy to sign them for you.



20 comments:

Truepinkas said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Haha, it looks like she has two hands holding the book and her third hand is shaking yours.

James Gurney said...

Anon, you're right. That's hilarious.

Ernest Friedman-Hill said...

Nice one, James! You always find ways to keep life interesting.

Santiago said...

That was an amazing gesture, James.

You are an inspiration in every way of life!

Grease Pencil said...

good guy gurney :)

Matthew Meyer said...

Truly awesome. I am jealous of Sarah getting to meet you in person!

Joe Kulka said...

Awesome!

Bet she was thrilled.

P.S. Saw some of your originals from Dinotopia at the Allentown Art Museum. The colors are just amazing to behold in person. You can paint, sir!

Nick Hendriks said...

I am sorry to have missed my opportunity to meet you while you were in my neck of the woods, but I hope you had a good time in T.O. A very good friend of mine excitedly informed me that she and some friends ran into you at the ROM last weekend and thought you and your wife were two of the nicest folks they've met.

James Gurney said...

Hi, Nick, You must be talking about the friends of Ben and Eric who met at Sheridan. It was fun to meet them and look through their sketchbooks. Tell your friend hi for us.

Thanks, Joe, glad you made it to Allentown.

Santiago, really it was no big deal. It was easier to deliver it there than to find a post office.

Bhaskar Rac said...

I just had ordered your book - Imaginative realism. I am just imagining you travlling near to my place and delivering that book, almost like Sarah. Difference would be I would ask for a coffee and sketch with you. Though its very hard to happen since its in India. :)

Rich said...

@Bhaskar:
India? Difficult to deliver; at least from the point of Journey Gurney:-)

Bhaskar Rac said...

@Rich... thanks but I have been a follower of James's blog and I know he has been to China once. India is not so distant from there... but all depends on the timing of my booking and James to be on that place. But yeah, crazy chances that may happen once just like it happened with Sarah. Till then we have his blog and books for inspirations.

Rich said...

@Bhaskar
Who knows: India is not too distant from China, as you say. There's hardly anything like distance anymore nowadays, in the days of internet and world-wide-web.
Distance "trampled to death by the gods" as the Indian poet says. And if James should not be able to personally deliver the book to you: "We have his blog and books for inspirations", as you say.

Lydia Burris said...

Hehe!! What an amazing treat that must have been for her!

Carol Scown-Raynal said...

A wonderful story. Thank you !

Kelden Cowan said...

Awesome! But wait... how did you know where she worked? ( the plot thickens ) :P

James Gurney said...

Kelden, That was the address she gave on the order.

Kelden Cowan said...

Oh yeah, didn't think of that!

Judy P. said...

Lucky Sarah! But hey I had a little thrill getting your postcard thanking me for the coffee money I sent.
Cool drawing of a dinosaur with a cuppa joe, way fun.