Monday, October 21, 2013

Glassblowing in Action

Here's a portrait of my son Frank, who is apprenticing at glassblowing. 

It's fun to watch the process. Propane mixes with oxygen to make a powerful diagonal jet of fire that heats up and softens the glass. The stream of blue-colored flame turns to yellow-orange as soon as the glass touches it.

The warm light from the flame lit the front surfaces. Some cool fluorescents lit his back and the top of his head. 

I used casein in a watercolor sketchbook held up on a camera tripod. Having the work up high, close to my line of sight, makes accurate judgments much easier. I liked where I was sitting because my work was lit by the window behind me. The brim of the hat shields my eyes from the dangerously bright orange light.

5 comments:

Psycho James said...

You're amazing! ENOUGH SAID!

Tom Hart said...

What a wonderful painting, and an equally wonderful scene: you and your son engaged in parallel artistic pursuits. As a parent, I find this a very touching and (reading between the lines a bit)personal post. Thanks for sharing.

Adina Henderson said...

I'd love to see some of his process and his finished product!

James Gurney said...

Tom and Psycho--thanks. You can tell that I express emotions through my artwork, and there's definitely a lot of pride and admiration in those brushstrokes.
Adina, I'll try to get some video of the process, and maybe some interview bits.

Carole Pivarnik said...

What a fantastic sketch. There is something so instructive about your blog posts, even if you don't say much. But more than that, as others have said, you are so personable and personal in your posts. My favorite blog and one of my favorite artists. :)