Monday, June 23, 2014

CLEMENTOONS "Troubles with Bubbles"

Direct link to video)

Clement sees a poster for a dancing girl, and the story that follows is as old as time.

This is episode 14 from the Clementoons adventures. I'm releasing the mini-movies out of order, but this is the first.


I shot the video on location at Mel Birnkrant's personal museum of comic characters. Mel is at right, operating the Miss Bubbles marionette, which was created by Bil Baird, the puppeteer for the goatherd sequence in "The Sound of Music." At center is assistant puppeteer Christopher Radko, better known for his Christmas ornaments and organic lavender.


I built the doghouse out of foam core board and craft foam, assembled with hot glue and painted in acrylic.

The song "She's a Hum Dum Dinger" is by Jimmie Davis, who later became the governor of Louisiana.

I had fun with the dramatic lighting and cinematography, and tried to use upshots as much as possible to make the characters seem larger than life. The digital pasties were added to the close-ups of Miss Bubbles by Roger Bansemer, because otherwise the video would have been a bit too hot for YouTube.

The Clementoons title music is called "If There Weren't Any Women in the World," performed by the Yanks, from their new album, "Haymaker."
------
Previously:
Clementoons: Behind the Scenes

14 comments:

Steve said...

Jaw droppingly fun. Wow.

Robert Michael Walsh said...

Loved it! Unfortunately the digital pasties looked like an ad hoc afterthought

Chris said...

Very cool, James.

Tyler J said...

Congratulations on getting the first episode out!

Like all good stories, there is some adventure and a bit of danger and creepiness about it.

I look forward to the rest of them.

Unknown said...

Genius Jim. The upshots of Clement that showed how high everything was to him made me feel like I wish I was that small. And the use of music was great, it really gave a surreal feeling and atmosphere to the show.

Unknown said...

Genius Jim. The upshots of Clement that showed how high everything was to him made me feel like I wish I was that small. And the use of music was great, it really gave a surreal feeling and atmosphere to the show.

Gavin said...

I'm no expert, but I think miss Bubbles has had surgery!

James Gurney said...

Gavin, you're right, and they operate by concealed springs.

Robert and Tyler, glad you picked up that surreal, weird mood and the camera angles. When you look down on them they're just toys, but when you look up they become icons.

Robert Michael, I know what you mean. I would have been glad to leave off the pasties, but YT can be very strict about nudity, even in puppets, and I didn't want a takedown.

Thanks, Steve. As you can probably guess, I'm having a blast making these.

Ernest Friedman-Hill said...

Love it! The dramatic camerawork is huge fun, and the attention to detail is just right -- I love how Clement's hair bounces around when he walks. Looking forward to the next installment!

I also love the implication that you and Roger are friends who stay in touch; your cameo on his show was awesome, even though it rained!

jeff said...

This was brilliant!
When I was about 6 or 7 my parents use to take me to Bill Baird Marionette Theater in Greenwich Village.
Great stuff.

Corey said...

This reminded me of the kind of the feeling I got from watching Terry Zwigoffs "Crumb" movie! One of my favorite films. Fantastic stuff!

Unknown said...

Loved seeing Bubbles in action!

Michael Nellen said...

When was the puppet made and what's the measurement of it.

Michael Nellen said...

When was the puppet made and what is the measurement of it?