Saturday, December 16, 2023

Video Ads for the Famous Artists Course

The Famous Artist School marketed its correspondence course with print ads and direct mail, but also with these video ads in the 1950s.


The presentation may seem stilted and corny. I'm struck with how comfortable we've all become when talking to a camera. 

But what they're selling has real value, even to this day, so I'm glad you can still get your hands on those old course instruction binders

Thanks to the Norman Rockwell Museum for digitizing them and sharing them.

2 comments:

Skadjer said...

What an unexpected surprise! The teacher shown at 12:46 was still teaching art 50 years later when I had the great fortune to enroll in his class.

G. said...

I bought these on Ebay last year! Their instructions are totally different than what I was taught in school. It's really cool to page though them.