Monday, December 18, 2023

Wrath of the Sea Serpent

When Seafood Fights Back, gouache on board, 11x14”

This leviathan is a variation of my larger sea monster painting. In this one I wanted the viewer to see the head of the creature first and then to glance down and take in the unfolding disaster.


In the larger version, I thought I could make the viewer would feel more involved and unsettled by having the body of the beast moving through the foreground. The tradeoff is that we're farther from the destruction. 

Leviathan, gouache, 9x12 inches

I recently shared an earlier sketch which brings us close to the action, but the scale and the threat aren't as clear. 

1 comment:

Susan Krzywicki said...

I looked at the image, and then read the explanation. And you were, of course, right: I saw the head first, and it took me a bit to follow down the body, and yikes!

Wonderful.