Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Valparaiso Viewpoints

Jeanette and I paused in Valparaiso, Indiana to recharge our art batteries. Valparaiso is the county seat of Porter County, but not many tourists come here. The library has a fabulous collection of art books and there’s an art museum on the university campus of that we’ll check out tomorrow. Today it’s time for sketching.

We picked this streetcorner: a shoe store in a brick building with a round turret. Here’s how it looked to the camera.



I tried a sepia sketch in the mini-Moleskine watercolor book, using a few washes of tone and then some brown Waterman ink sketched with a fountain pen. Then I added a wet wash here and there to melt the linework, releasing its inner red tone.

Here’s Jeanette to describe her painting: “I did a pencil sketch in my sketchbook (laid-finish paper), then put down some watercolor. I went back in with a ballpoint pen when the color was dry.”

Our fingers got cold from the November weather, so we tucked into a wi-fi café for soup and coffee. An elderly fellow sat near me and hauled out his laptop. Sitting duck, thought I.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are great little pictures. I get easily discouraged by city-scapes as they always seem too crowded with baffling movement and it seems to lack the same aesthetic as nature. But there is lots of beauty there.

Maria Mercado said...

I love your cityscapes! And I am amazed at how much detail you are able to paint in those mini moleskine books. I have one, which I used to think was too small to do anything with, but now I'm inspired!