Thursday, September 23, 2010

How to Blog

Don't miss Issue 61 of ImagineFX magazine, which is on the newsstands. It has a free "Color and Light" poster inside previewing the upcoming book.

It also has a feature called "The Fine Art of Blogging," about IFX's pix for Five Great Art Blogs: Art Order, The Art Department, Drawnk, Charlie Bowater, and Knuckle Deep.

They asked me for my Seven Secrets of Blogging:

1. Keep things brief. 2. Employ a simple design. 3. Variety is the key (funny stories, obscure videos, geeky factoids and practical studio tips). 4. Try to stay positive. 5. Favor information over opinions. 6. Compose offline. 7. And look for those three things that always drive traffic: a well-framed debate, a bizarre true story, or a post entitled "How to..."

But I don't always follow my own advice. I composed this post in a Barnes and Noble.

9 comments:

Chris Jouan said...

B&N one of my favorite places on earth! Who knew it was also a great place to compose blogs!

r garriott said...

Great list! Especially #1.

Karin Corbin said...

You forgot to mention put in lots of photos and stories about cute animals. You wouldn't be guilty of that trick would you?

Stapleton Kearns said...

How do you quit?

Roberto said...

Oh no, Stape! Don't you know? Blogging is like renting a room at the 'Hotel California'... You can check out, but you can never leave!! Besides, losing your fantastic blog would leave a gaping hole in the creative Art-o-sphere!!
Follow Jimmie's lead; turn it into a book! (sometimes you just have to suck-it-up and give the people what they want!) I think I'm gonna go have a good cry. -RQ

p.s. who does your hair? I love that retro-beau-fount-thing you have going.

Unknown said...

I love that poster and it got me even more excited for the book. Also thanks so much for taking the time to answer my email Mr Gurney! :)

Unknown said...

Point 8: include some humour and self-relativism in your posts :-). (Seen it before in this blog)

Libby Fife said...

Seven reasons why I keep reading. Thanks again!

bill said...

Brilliance doesn't hurt.