Friday, September 24, 2010

Turnip Cart

“Turnip Cart” is the last of three original oil paintings that will be offered for sale in the fantasy and comics auction in Paris on October 16.

It shows Bix walking alongside a Triceratops while Arthur Denison hitches a ride with a farmer named Ilya Shinshik. That last name is an anagram of “Shishkin,” one of the Russian painters who influenced the paintings published in Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara.

The painting also was reproduced in Imaginative Realism to illustrate the compositional device called “spokewheeling.”
-------
Emperors_Offer & Imperial Palace
Galerie Daniel Maghen is the expert adviser in the sale. For more information, please email Olivier Souille at "info@danielmaghen.com"
Tajan’s October bande dessinée auction (the final online catalog is still in preparation).
James Gurney Original Art blog
Dinotopia website
James Gurney Original Art blog
Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara

5 comments:

Raydancer said...

Question: while the concept of spokewheeling is interesting to me, couldn't my eye be attracted to that area of the painting simply because I'm looking into the eye of the largest living subject displayed?

James Gurney said...

Raydancer, yes, definitely. Our attention is attracted to creatures and to eyes anyway. The idea of spokewheeling is to reinforce the center of interest--usually a face.

Erik Bongers said...

On my drawing board is currenly a comic book page where I use this technique (that I learned of on this blog) to help the reader to pick out a person in a crowd.

huxtiblejones said...

Technically, because of recent developments in archaeology, this painting depicts child labor! Triceratops is a young species of Torosaurus - http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/6444140-scientists-triceratops-is-a-young-version-of-torosaurus

I'm obviously kidding, but at least the article is entertaining. I'd love to be the one who owned this painting, I've spent much of my time looking at such paintings in your book.

David Teter said...

Also called a radial plan or design, the lines can be seen radiating out from the central point, the eye.

Incidentally, I like that you show the original painting uncropped. I often wonder how other artists' work looks, with unfinished edges.