Saturday, November 26, 2011

Behind Skybax Rider

If you click on this image to make it bigger, it will tell you a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff about the painting, which I did back in 1990.


The image appears in Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time, which is finally back in print in a spectacular 20th anniversary edition, with 32 pages of new material (including an illustrated afterword that I wrote about the making of the book). You can get it signed and personalized from me at my website.

Or stop by Books of Wonder in New York today and I'd love to meet you and sign your copy.

4 comments:

Torbjörn Källström said...

Making color sketches of the view outside an airplane window. What a great idea. Never thought of doing that. :)

Matthew Meyer said...

I love hearing the backstories behind paintings. There's always so much more than what you see!

T. Arispe said...

What a wealth of fascinating information; I appreciate all of the research that goes into your work. Thank you so much for sharing.

masinter.design said...

I love how this image evolved from such a diverse array of inspiration, and how you were willing to build a maquette to get a sense of the flying creature.