Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Riding a Pterosaur

Sometimes when you're developing a fantasy painting, it's fun to act out a scene, even if the photo reference that you get out of it isn't that useful directly.

 
The idea is to get into the spirit of the action, feel the wind in your face and hear the screech of the pterosaur.

I think that's more important than getting a photographically real piece of reference to copy. If you can identify with the weight and balance of things, and especially the emotion, you've got 90% of the problem solved.

The painting of "Air Jousting" is from Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara.

Previous and related posts:
Air Jousting
My Preference for Reference
New Use for Refrigerator Cartons

5 comments:

T. Arispe said...

That's very true. If you can get yourself into the spirit of a piece, it becomes much more engaging to work on and much of that emotion transfers itself to the finished project.

(On an unrelated note, I got my books yesterday! I'm going to wait until Christmas to open the package and surprise myself.)

Erik Bongers said...

Yes, by curving that back and lowering that head - the final pose is much more tensed than you're reference.
But I think many artist can attest to it that it's darn difficult to let go of that nasty reflex to copy a photograph literally.

Vicki said...

I have heard that before, but have not done it, at least not as you do here--mainly to get the feel, the weight, the emotional pull of the action. I'll try it.
I agree with Erik--it's difficult to let go of the reflex of drawing things literally instead of artistically.

Thomas Salonga said...

I admire how you keep filling your blog with such amazing tid-bits and experiences. Reading this was just a breathe of fresh air.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you for the tips that you so generously dispense in your blog!