Saturday, February 11, 2012

Information Saturation Reviews

The blog "Information Saturation" has published reviews of Color and Light, Imaginative Realism, and The Artist's Guide to Sketching.

"Color and Light is not a “how to” per se, but rather more of a reference book including a basic history of the usage of the title subjects, modern application, and differing approaches for each. Although the principles Gurney details may be applied to any medium, there is a chapter solely about pigments as found primarily in (oil) paints, which also touches on other tactile mediums such as markers, pastels, etc....


"I like the fact that he is anything but absolute in his discussion of different aspects of color and light; that is, he will discuss different opinions of each and leave the reader to figure out his or her particular stance on the matter. I also like that he consistently describes the scientific explanation for everything he mentions, from the chemical composition of pigments to the angles of reflection and refraction of light in various situations."

Full review of Color and Light.
Order Color & Light signed on JamesGurney.com or from Amazon.

----------

"Imaginative Realism is a wonderful tool for any artist seeking a scientific method by which to go about the creative process. This is a great book for getting your imagination going, and also for breaking a painter out of the studio and into hands-on research and reenactment. I believe that for me personally, I loved this book because it provided a new perspective for me, and also put concepts I’d already been practicing into words....

"The main idea of this book is as follows: in order to paint the fantastic, you must first start with the mundane. Use real-life references whenever possible: adapt plein-air sketches to fantasyscapes; base your original creatures on mixtures of real animals and people, giving them a solid core of anatomy which is believable; create maquettes and lifecasts – either temporary or long-term use – in order to get your lighting and composition as accurate as possible." 

Full review of Imaginative Realism.
Order Imaginative Realism signed on JamesGurney.com or from Amazon.

"The Artist's Guide to Sketching by James Gurney and Thomas Kinkade is a wonderful reference guide for established artists. This is not a “how to” book; this is a book detailing the experiences and methods of two famous, splendid artists....


"It’s a great book. I believe the best way to explain why is to say that this book will invariably alter your way of thinking about sketching, and place that activity in the spotlight as the key to adventure, imagination, and recording your life and times.... Gurney and Kinkade explore everything from how to get a stranger to pose for a drawing to handling curious onlookers to what materials work best for plein-air sketching. This is an essential reference for any artist, as sketching is the cornerstone of all visual art regardless of medium."

Full review of The Artist's Guide to Sketching
Order Order Artist's Guide to Sketching used at Amazon.
--------

11 comments:

Janet Oliver said...

I concur! I have the first two, and now I going to order the "Sketching" book.

Joseph Travis said...

I own and have read both Color and Light, and Imaginative Realism and quoted from the latter in my dissertation.

I recently read The artist's Guide to sketching and it was amazing, I borrowed it from the library and made notes the whole way through, it is one of the most amazing books I red in the last few months, it got me feeling really inspired and then it got too cold to work outside for more than 10 minutes.

AS soon as it warms up a little I'm going out in the week and next weekend I'm going to the Museum of Science and Industry to do some sketching.

J. R. Stremikis said...

I can vouch for The Artist's Guide to Sketching. Got a used copy through Amazon in 2009 for USD $45, and it's a staple in my reference library ever since.
As Joseph says, it's amazing and inspirational - it gets the reader outside, building awareness and observation skills.

Janet Oliver said...

Ordered! Can't wait. Thanks for the testimonials!

peng said...

Mr. Gurney, sir, do you have any plan re-releasing the sketching book ever again?

James Gurney said...

Peng, it's always possible, but no plans at the moment.

Gannon said...

I wasn't even aware of "Artist's Guide to Sketching" until I read this post. I went over to buy it only to see the cheapest used copy was over $300. Too pricey for me and I'd rather you get some of my money anyway.

Here is another vote for bringing it back in print if you're so inclined.

Anonymous said...

I too would like for there to be an affordable version of The Artist's Guide to Sketching!

Anonymous said...

And another vote for "The Artist's Guide to Sketching"!

Unknown said...

Would love to see The Artist's Guide to Sketching back in print!!

Linda Navroth said...

Is there some legal reason why this book can't be reprinted? The estate of Tom Kincaid, perhaps? It sure would be great to not have to pay $65+ and UP for a copy of this. I just can't bring myself to do so. But I would sure love to have it!