Thursday, January 29, 2015

Dinotopia Exhibition coming to Connecticut




Next month, the Stamford Museum and Nature Center will host a major Dinotopia exhibition.


There will be over 50 original paintings from several of the books, including Dinosaur Parade, Waterfall City, and Dinosaur Boulevard. The artwork is completely different from the Lyman Allyn show a few years ago.
The show will also include preliminary sketches, reference maquettes, and several dinosaur fossils.
I will be in attendance for a few special events:

Farm to Table Supper with Chef Tim LaBant
Saturday February 28, 2015 from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM

Enjoy a casual, rustic winter supper in the warmth of the Bendel Mansion featuring Tim LaBant, Owner/Chef of the Schoolhouse at Cannondale. Guests will begin with cocktails and artisanal hors d’oeuvres in the Museum Galleries with artist James Gurney who will provide a tour of the Dinotopia galleries, with stories behind the paintings. Here's the link for tickets.

Fantasy Drawing Workshop with James Gurney
Sunday, March 1, 2015, 1:00-3:00
Leonhardt Gallery in the Stamford Museum

James Gurney will present a digital slide program and a hands-on drawing workshop for artists of all levels of experience. Gurney will demonstrate the water-soluble colored pencil techniques he uses for many of his observational and imaginative sketches. Participants will get a chance to try out the watercolor pencils as they draw dinosaur models and still life objects. The workshop will take place in one of the exhibition galleries. Materials will be provided. The class size is extremely limited. Link for more info.

Book signing and public presentation
Sunday, March 1, 2015, 3:30-4:30
Leonhardt Gallery in the Stamford Museum

After the private workshop, all museum guests are invited to meet the author/artist. Mr. Gurney will offer a mini-lecture about the making of Dinotopia, followed by a book signing. Copies of Gurney's Dinotopia editions and art instruction books Imaginative Realism and Color and Light will be available at the gift shop.

Jared Cullum is organizing a gathering of GurneyJourneyers for sketching and coffee before or after the events on Sunday.
-----
Stamford Museum and Nature Center
Farm to table sign-up


10 comments:

Jim Hartlage said...

I hope to make it. I did go to one in CT a few years back.

A quick question if you don't mind. Do have any experience with or thoughts about
Sennelier French Artists’ Watercolors? Thank you.

James Gurney said...

Jim, no, I haven't tried that brand but have heard good things about it.

Pedro Vazquez-Casta said...

Connecticut, there is where my small daughter lives, I will contact her to try to go there. I wish to someday see you in person.

Anonymous said...

Sennelier French Artists’ Watercolors are great, really smooth and rich color.

It would be great if a Dinotopia/Gurney exhibit came to Nashville (or at least somewhere in the South) someday!

James Gurney said...

Rotm, Thanks. I'd love to visit the South again, too. I was just in Texas in October. Perhaps an art museum in the South might be interested in hosting the Dinotopia exhibition. Talk it up to the curators at the Frist!

Anonymous said...

I took your suggestion and wrote the Frist with links to your blog and website – let's hope this gets the ball rolling!

Jared Cullum said...

Hey Jim Hartlage-
I have a set of Sennelier half pans and I like it. It's smooth and soft because of the honey... Although I prefer the schmincke set I use for most everything.
The Schmincke smaller half pan set comes with more necessary colors than the Senn half pan set. The Senn has purple and others that aren't as needed as the warm and cool primaries in the Schmincke set. (unless you want that)

I'm coming up from VA Sat and Sun to see the dinotopia exhibit and do the workshop. If you plan on coming, you're welcome to contact me and I can bring up some Senn with my schmincke set I always carry and you can try them before you fork out the big bucks for a set. :)

Jim Hartlage said...

Jared, thank you for your thoughts on the two brands as well as your offer. I started looking at the Senn set because of the cost savings. I'm not sure about visiting the show, but was hoping to upgrade my watercolors soon.

Jared Cullum said...

Just throwing this out there to everyone...
A couple people contacted me regarding my last comment and I thought I'd put this out there-
If anyone would be interested in a watercolor (or whatever) sketching/hang out session either Sat, the 28th (before the dinner event so it doesn't conflict) I get in at 1pm.
Or the morning before the exhibition opens (11am, I think) that could be fun.
I'll be sketching around and am always open to company :)

Pedro Vazquez-Casta said...

Gurney, the workshop can be a great thing to make a movie of your presentation.