Saturday, January 17, 2015

Studio Tips

A couple of GurneyJourney blog readers shared some helpful studio tips:


Doug Goodale says: "I recently built a lightweight sketch easel according to your specs and added some Velcro strips so it could hold a 1/4 sheet of watercolour paper. I had a plastic palette, so glued some rare earth magnets on the mixing surface to affix it to the easel."

Lawrence Roibal says: "Having had the privilege of being in the presence of the great Steve Assael painting from life, I witnessed how he utilizes the theory of the parallel palette without the expense. He would just fashion a makeshift palette right on his painting surface or utilize a clamp, and a simple masonite palette."
----
Thanks, Doug and Larry

10 comments:

Terry said...

Clever ideas - but how do you attach watercolor paper to hook & loop strips?

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Same question as Terry, how does this work exactly…Nice set up though, how much does it weigh I wonder.

James Gurney said...

Doug Goodale, correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed you have the corresponding strips of Velcro attached on the back of a plywood board, on which you stretch the watercolor paper.

doug goodale said...

That is correct James. The support for the paper has matching velcro strips to attach to the easel.

Terry said...

Thanks for the explanation!

David Webb said...

My easel has a tray at the front, for my palette. Here's a small tip if you're a watercolour painter, like me. When I'm setting up the easel, I place a small spirit level on the tray and adjust the legs until the bubble is in the middle. This might seem a bit perfectionist, but it really helps to have your mixed up washes staying in the middle of the mixing wells, and not slopping over the sides.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Thank you for the tips
I've begun using my first standing easel (since college studio days). I like standing with a palette table to my right. I have an accordian piece from an old metal lamp I plan to attach to hold sketches. Not painting on a table feels weird. What is more weird...it feels better to paint and draw while standing.

Melle Ferre said...

This is impressive. The palette probably doesn't weigh much. One could use gator board or foam core for the support if the paper is not over 140 lb I think). Wondering how much pressure one can apply to this Gurney setup, whether painting small or larger like this allows?

telestudies said...

Cool! Another good looking easel.
I have a problem with mine. Maybe its too heavy, or my tripod plate isnt ok, but its keep falling from the head.
How do you keep your easel stable and at the right angle while drawing?
Thanks!

James Gurney said...

Telestudios, I always carry a coin in my pocket and use it to crank the quick release plate firmly against the palette backboard. That keeps it from working loose on my rig.