Thursday, September 6, 2012

Drawing with My Nephew

I have a nephew with Down Syndrome, and I once sat beside him and drew pictures. 


I don't get to see him too often, but the last time I spent a few days with him, I showed him how to draw a building with windows and doors. He understood the idea right away.


Drawing unlocked something in him. Each morning, even before he had his breakfast or listened to his favorite music, he needed to draw a tall building and fill it up with windows.

I'm not sure exactly what drawing buildings meant to him because he couldn't verbalize it. But he reminded me of what a powerful experience it is to create a world on a piece of paper.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

More proof that the arts are so much more than just a frivolous activity.

Tom Hart said...

James, this is a very touching and insightful post. In addition to enjoying the experience of, as you say, creating a world on paper, I'd think that your nephew might feel the same sort of calming effect that I feel when I draw or paint. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I really do think that mind state is something akin to meditation.

Sharyn said...

Your Story made me think of the song St. Judy's Comet by Paul Simon "'Cause if I can't sing my boy to sleep Well it makes your famous daddy look so dumb
look so dumb."

Tami Traylor said...

Windows...they keep you safe from the elements yet allow you to see the world outside. They let in the light...makes perfect sense why he had to fill his buildings with windows.

Thanks for sharing these two very sweet portraits of your nephew...

Cynthia Nicole said...

just taking time to notice and to think about this is so rare today. there really is a universe in a grain of sand. thanks for this beautiful post.

Janet Oliver said...

Lovely post. I think Tom Hart nailed it.

Poet Whale Studio said...

I think your nephew loves you, and drawing brings him to where you are.

P.T. Waugh said...

I think that buildings might be attractive as a drawing subject for two reasons. 1.) There is a set process for drawing them. First the outline, then the inner details. 2.) Buildings are organized. Windows are arranged in rows and columns.

Lady Fishbone said...

Arts would really mean a lot of expression... he may not verbalize what he mean, at least through arts he can.

I was reminded of my nephew with down syndrome too they are sweet very warm and loving.

http://sketchesofwords.blogspot.com/

Dom said...

You're a good man, Gurney.

Anonymous said...

Thank you... I can't think of anything I'd rather read/look at on the internet than this post.

Shelley Whiting's art said...

These are very sincere and elegant artworks.