Sunday, September 30, 2012

Lime Rock Races


(Direct link to video) I made this little video about a sketching trip to the car races yesterday at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut.

Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty closed out the Grand-Am road racing championship with a 2 3/4 hour sprint in their Gainsco Corvette, which I sketched on location in watercolor and colored pencil.


Here's the view we had of the track, painted in watercolor. The skid marks in the foreground were from incidents in the qualifying rounds, but the two yellow flag incidents that started the race happened right in front of us.

Alex led the race for a while near the end, so I painted his car out front. He finished in third place, the third straight podium finish for the team.


Before the race we enjoyed hanging out with Grand Marshall Sam Posey, a celebrated race driver, TV commentator, architect and artist.

Report on the race on the Gainsco site
Wikipedia on Sam Posey
Driver's eye video of Lime Rock passing strategy
Previously on GJ
Last year's race with Alex Gurney
The Delta Wing

2 comments:

Novice Naturalist said...

Thanks for your sketching videos. I enjoy them so much I have, in fact, finally though tentatively ventured into outdoor and other public watercolor sketching myself. I am loving that experience and my art shows it. Thanks!

Rich said...

I also like all those glossy highlights, done in such a fast sketch